The advisory council is a representative group of core stakeholders that help guide the school counseling program. The advisory council should include parents, faculty, administration and community members as well as a school counselor from the program. Keep records of all advisory council agendas and meeting minutes.
WORK TO DO FOR BINDER
SUBMIT PROGRESS WITH STEPS 1 - 3 COMPLETED AT A MINIMUM. FIRST MEETING IS TOBE HELD FALL 2010 AT THE LATEST.
STEPS FOR IMPLEMENTATION:
1) IDENTIFY POSSIBLE COUNCIL MEMBERS (INCLUDE ALL STAKEHOLDER GROUPS - PARENTS, STAFF, ADMINISTRATION, COMMUNITY MEMBERS, POSSIBLY STUDENTS - NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE STUDENTS)
2) CREATE INVITATION LETTER/EMAIL EXPLAINING PURPOSE OF COUNCIL AND LEVEL OF INVOLVEMENT.
3) DECIDE MEETING TIME - MINIMUM OF 2 MEETINGS PER YEAR - MAYBE HELPFUL TO COORDINATE AROUND EXISTING MEETING SUCH AS PTA/PTO.
4) SET AGENDA - IDEAS TO INCLUDE: FIRST FOCUS ON PURPOSE OF COUNCIL, THEN SHARE RESULTS, SET PROGRAM GOALS BASED ON BUILDING NEED AND DATA.
5) COMPLETE MINUTES FROM MEETING.