One of the essential aspects of the foundation for a school counseling program is the creation of a mission statement, which gives your program overall direction and vision. A mission statement describes the program's purpose and provides the vision of what is desired for every student.
A mission statement:
- Keeps the program's focus on the beliefs, assumptions and philosophy.
- Establishes a structure for innovations.
- Creates on vision.
- Provides an anchor in the face of change.
The mission statement content should:
- Be written with students as the primary clients.
- Advocate for the equity, access and success of every student.
- Be written for every student.
- Indicate the content and competencies to be learned.
- Show linkages with the school, school district, or state department fo education mission statements.
- Indicate the long-range results desired for all students.
WORK TO DO FOR BINDER
- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE DISTRICT COUNSELING PROGRAM MISSION STATEMENT
- WRITE YOUR OWN MISSION STATEMENT SPECIFIC TO YOUR COUNSELING PROGRAM AT YOUR SCHOOL. USE YOUR ADVISORY COUNCIL TO ASSIST YOU WITH THIS PROCESS.